Friday, May 1, 2009




April 31, 2009

Hey, how are you all?

Well, I wrote just 10 days ago that we were on our way to Eleuthera and then to the Abacos. I love to have a plan! And, yet, I do not mind a course change when wind and sea combine their forces in opposition to our plans. We spent 9 beautiful and very windy days in Warderick Wells. Only the most hardy sailed in the Exumas over the last week or so, perhaps the foolhardy. The winds were a steady 25 to 30 knots and the seas in the sound were 10 to 12 feet.

While enjoying refuge on Warderick we immersed ourselves in the beauty of the land and sea park. Though it was quite windy, there were abundant sheltered spaces to swim, snorkel and hike. Warderick Wells continues to be one of my favorite islands in the Exumas.

Tomorrow Namaste will spread her luminous, white wings and join the collective migration of cruisers heading north. We have learned to alter our course with the ease and grace of dancers stepping from a meringue to a rumba. We realized that we would enjoy little time in the Abacos during May as the long-range weather forecast is predicting strong winds and squalls for the second two weeks of the month. A timely weather window has granted us the opportunity to sail with fair winds and following seas all the way to Charleston from Nassau.

We are both excited about traveling north to Charleston. Using the strong current in the Gulf Stream to provide additional momentum to our sail, we believe Namaste will arrive in Charleston on Tuesday evening after 4 days at sea. We look forward to a week at the Charleston Maritime Center Marina in the heart of the city. And, of course we can’t wait to see family.
We spent last night at Highborne Cay and tonight we are in Nassau refueling and provisioning for our journey to Charleston. I have butterflies, hundreds of butterflies, creating a stir of excitement and anticipation regarding our trip up the Gulf Stream. This kind of rousing has been good for me. I am glad to have this opportunity to stretch and to challenge my perceptions. Only 5 months ago I would have identified more with trepidation than this swarm of animated eagerness fluttering in my core.

Chris and I have both loved our voyage to the Bahamas. We have only begun to explore these beautiful islands. I don’t believe I will see water reflecting these clear blues and greens, aqua’s and azures until we return some day to continue our adventure into the northern and southern Bahamas. These islands are truly the sparkling jewels of the Atlantic and they will beckon to us yet again. The Bahamians have welcomed us at every turn and we are grateful for our glittering and spectacular experience here.

I will write next from Charleston.

Peace and Love

No comments: